With most industries and businesses due back to the daily routine beginning on Monday next week following the festive shutdown, the Department of Employment and Labour has urged all business to prioritise the health and safety of its employees and to take all necessary steps to ensure they are not exposed to Covid-19 virus.
"It is crucial that industries, businesses and entities, both private and in the public sector must take all the necessary care to ensure safety of workers, their families and the clients/suppliers. All areas of business must designate a Covid-19 compliance officer who must develop, implement and oversee the plan containing measures to ensure that the workplace meets the standards of health protocols, adequate space for employees and social distancing measures for the public and service providers.
"Most of the industries, in the first lockdown period did develop these plans and it may be that those plans need to be updated with the new information they have acquired since then or where improvements need to be effected.
"Our inspectors will continue to ensure that businesses and industries adhere to regulations but our inspectors cannot be everywhere at the same time. Union representatives and ordinary employees provide the first line of compliance and must be on the lookout for conditions that may expose them to danger and either contact employers with a view to improvements or call our inspectors," said the DEL Director General, Thobile Lamati.
He added that industries and business had just as much responsibility to their clients and suppliers as it did to their employees to ensure that they are safe.
"In the last few weeks, the country has seen major outbreak and high prevalence of Covid-19 and it follows that workplaces are likely to experience significantly higher cases as asymptomatic or untested workers return. This is why issues of health and safety should be uppermost in the minds of employers and employees," said Lamati.
The warning comes as the Compensation Fund reported in their last report that it had received close to 15000 Covid-19 claims of which 29 were claims in respect to people who had died as a result of contracting the disease on duty.
"A total of R30-million had been paid out in processed claims and with what we have seen of the second wave, we are likely to see exponentially higher numbers of infection if industries and business take the business-as-usual approach, DG Lamati added.
In the level 3 adjusted lockdown that is currently in operation, businesses are generally allowed to operate on condition that:
Provincial chief inspectors can be contacted on these numbers:
Eastern Cape 082 908 2318 Free State 066 304 3469
Gauteng 082 900 8131 KwaZulu Natal 060 985 9286
Mpumalanga 082 415 7038 Limpopo 082 880 4297
Northern Cape 082 802 6796 North West 082 908 2308
Western Cape 082791 4485
Media enquiries: Musa Zondi: Acting Departmental Spokesperson
"Please continue adhering to the lockdown regulations. Wash hands or sanitise your hands regularly and wear your mask at all times."
Issued by: Department of Employment and Labour
© 2019 - The South African Department of Employment & Labour