Sections
Home   About Us | Contacts | Services | Media Desk | Tenders | Vacancies
Site Map
Personal tools
You are here: Home Media Desk Media Alerts Self-confessed fraudster physiotherapist Sehunoe to know his fate on Monday to defrauding the Department of Labour
     Department of Labour Fraud line-08600 22 194   Southern African Development Community  BRICS Business Council
 
Document Actions

Self-confessed fraudster physiotherapist Sehunoe to know his fate on Monday to defrauding the Department of Labour

by lloyd last modified 2013-02-22 12:54

22-February-2013

Jurry Bonewamang Sehunoe (35), the self-confessed fraud physiotherapist who defrauded the Department of Labour’s (DoL) Compensation Fund (CF) R2,1-million, is expected to be sentenced on Monday (February 25) in the Pretoria Specialised Commercial Crimes Court.

The Rustenburg-based Sehunoe confessed in October 2011 to have been a member of a syndicate that defrauded the Department of Labour’s CF R2,1-million. He pleaded guilty to 15 counts of fraud and 26 counts of money laundering. The fraudster is currently out on a bail of R3000.

In the matter, Sehunoe was originally charged with two co-defendants - Maxwell Ramaphosa and Samuel Mfeleng – the dismissed former employees of the Department of Labour. The case of Ramaphosa and Mfeleng was in a separation of trial transferred to the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court after Sehunoe’s plea. The duo has pleaded not guilty in the fraud matter. They are also out on a bail of R3000.

Ramaphosa and Mfeleng are also entangled in two other alleged fraud cases against the Department of Labour, that are currently on trial in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court.

Last week appearing before Magistrate N. Setshogoe for submission of arguments in mitigation of sentence, Prosecutor Margaret Thulare called for harsh punishment. Thulare said that the mere guilty plea by Sehunoe could not be equated with remorse.

“The community is looking at this court to impose a sentence that will protect them; therefore the court has a duty to maintain law and order,” Thulare said.

The defence represented by Advocate Keitumetsi Mogale pleaded with the Court to impose a suspended sentence. Mogale argued that Sehunoe was a first time offender and that he showed remorse by not wasting the courts’ time, taking the blame for what happened and explaining in detail as to how the offence was committed.

Mogale further told the court that the accused was divorced in 2011 and had three minor children, who depended on the accused for support.

“He did not plan the offence by creating fictitious claims and submitting such to the Department of Labour for payment, he was just used as an instrument to commit an offence and failed to stop that.

“It is clear that the accused never had peace with that money. He was not forced by any person to keep on accepting and transferring the money. He did not report the matter either to the police or the fund, therefore blames himself for the offence committed,” Mogale said in her submission.

Last year an agreement was reached in terms of confiscation between Sehunoe and the State for him to pay back the Department of Labour the defrauded money. The fraudster was supposed to pay lump sums of R35 000 every quarter, but to date he has only made one payment of R11 000 in August 2012.

The Compensation Fund is a public entity under the administration of the Department of Labour. The Fund provides compensation to workers for injuries and diseases sustained at work.

Issued by:  Page Boikanyo

Departmental Spokesman

082 809 3195


Copyright ©2019 The South African Department of Labour:
Home | Disclaimer | PAIA | Privacy PolicyWebmaster